Important Product Data
"Know your products"
Important Product Data
In lieu of the market requests and the misperception that prevail as to what is accepted by the WHO (World Health Organisation) we would like to offer you the following explanation in our product data sheets and page:
- Brief background: The WHO (World Health Organization) has published a number of articles on the matter of Hand Sanitising formulation and even a do it yourself recipe for own use. Many entrepreneurs throughout the world have seized the opportunity to make their own hand sanitisers (sanitizer) according to the WHO formulas and believe that by simply making a product to the WHO recipe, implies that they have a good or acceptable product.
We wish to caution you on this, as there are indeed a number of factors to be taken very seriously when making a product which you intend to sell on the open market.
These include the quality of Alcohol used (as there are a number of Alcohol types and qualities), the quality & product data of other raw materials used such as the quality and specs of Hydrogen Peroxide, Glycerol or Glycerine and Water quality or purity. We believe that the WHO’s intent is to help people with advice on making their own sanitiser for personal use and not necessarily for mass production to the public. Most people who will make their own sanitiser (WHO formula), will acquire their basic raw ingredients such as pure alcohol, glycerine and peroxide from their local Pharmacy and thereby use medical graded products.
Entrepreneurs on the contrary will endeavour to secure larger quantities of raw material from industrial suppliers and the medical profession cautions such entrepreneurs to ensure the quality of such raw materials used, as simply referring to the WHO recipe does not by implication mean that they are indeed producing quality products.
- Envirospec has acquainted itself with the WHO standards on Hand Sanitiser formulas and minimum product data which needs to be present in quality products. Our Chief Medical Officer and renowned HCP (Health Care Professional) Dr Francois Olivier (MBChB, MPhar Med), has done comprehensive studies on the matter and reviewed all WHO formulas and standards, but most importantly has studied all of the available WHO formulations from 2003 (Ebola & SARS formulas), to the latest updated version published in 2020, including the CDC (Centre for Disease Control in the USA).
- Envirospec offers a product which surpasses all known clinical standards and also meets Surgical Grade requirements.
- It is common knowledge, that alcohol kills most of known viruses and that the old WHO recommendations from previous pandemics (Ebola, SARS, etc.) where sanitiser products had to have at least an alcohol contents of 60% – 70%, Hydrogen Peroxide of 0.125% and glycerol of 0.13%.
- The WHO have recently (2020) raised the bar and now recommends an alcohol content of 80%, which Envirospec adheres to. Alcohol have excelled in vitro germicidal activities against Gram-positive and Gram-negative vegetative bacteria, however, they have virtually no activity against bacterial spores or protozoan oocysts, and very poor activity against some non-enveloped (non-lipophilic) viruses and some parasites. The emphasis obviously placed on the Covid-19 pandemic and not on general health care.
- Envirospec improved its sanitiser formula (product data) without compromising skin-care and safety, as it has become common knowledge that people are using Alcohol based sanitisers in excess now. Our Hand Sanitiser out-classes most products on offer in the market for a variety of reasons. Please see the following product data formulation and explanation:
Ingredients & product data
- 80% Organic Alcohol supplied by Illovo (South Africa’s most prominent Organic Alcohol Manufacturer) and as promoted by the WHO (World Health Organization). It is a known fact that Alcohol kills Viruses’ and for this reason Envirospec has formulated its product to not only meet the requirements of the WHO, however with a much improved formulation developed by our in-house Chief Medical Officer – Dr Francois Olivier (MBChB, MPhar Med) & our Chairman Mr. Gideo van der Merwe (Inventor).
- Hydrogen Peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is a mild antiseptic used on the skin to prevent infection of minor cuts, scrapes, and burns. It may also be used as a mouth rinse to help remove mucus or to relieve minor mouth irritation (e.g., due to canker/cold sores, gingivitis). This product works by releasing oxygen when it is applied to the affected area. The release of oxygen causes foaming, which helps to remove dead skin and clean the area.
- Silver nitrate. Silver nitrate is a natural compound that is used as an anti-infective agent. Silver nitrate topical (for use on the skin) is used to cauterize infected tissues around a skin wound. Silver nitrate can also help create a scab to help stop bleeding from a minor skin wound. Silver nitrate is also used to help remove warts or skin tags.
- Sodium Salts. The Sodium Salts developed by Gideo van der Merwe is a proprietary part of our patent and an anionic detergent and surfactant (compounds that lower the surface tension (or interfacial tension) between two liquids, between a gas and a liquid, or between a liquid and a solid. Surfactants may act as detergents, wetting agents, emulsifiers, foaming agents, and dispersants.
- Essential Oils. Due to the fact that we need to balance the pH(7) levels in our hand sanitiser, this is achieved with the inclusion of Essential Oils. The Essential Oils used in the Envirospec formula also includes Vitamin E Oil as people are using hand sanitisers in excess and skin care has become an important consideration. Many other hand sanitisers on the market do not consider neutral pH levels or skin care and are already experiencing negative public feedback, associated with dry (cracking) & colouring of the skin (yellowish).
- Citronella Oil. The inclusion of Citronella Oil in our future products is to add the Lemon Grass fragrance we prefer and it further acts as a Mosquito
Repellent, making Envirospec the only hand sanitisers (sanitizer) on the market with such a unique feature. This feature will especially be popular in rural areas and warmer areas where mosquitos are a problem. More people annually die from Malaria in Africa than most other diseases and for this reason, Dr Olivier combined the formula to include Citronella Oil as it has no negative influence on the sanitiser formula, however compliments its use to further act as a mosquito repellent. For centuries, citronella has been used for a variety of purposes, including: as an insect repellent; as an anti-fungal agent; to treat parasitic infections; to promote wound healing; to lift mood or fight fatigue; in perfumes or as a flavour additive in food.
- H2O. The demineralised H2O (purified for clinical use) is used as filler to reach a 100% solution. Water is a good solvent for a large number of substances and is often called the universal solvent. It is stable, has a high boiling point and has very high surface tension, an important characteristic for cleansing soiled hands. Because of its properties, water alone cannot directly remove soils such as fats, oils and proteins which are common components of organic soil. For efficacious cleansing of soiled hands, it is essential that soils dissolve or are suspended in water to allow them to be flushed away. Soaps and detergents are able to dissolve fats and oils: they loosen them and disperse them into the water. Soaps also ensure that soils are kept in suspension so that they can be flushed away with the water. Thus water alone is not suitable for cleaning soiled hands; soap or detergent (Sodium Salts) is required to be applied along with water.
We are often asked if we can’t make a cheaper product and the answer is quite simply yes we can. The questions however are:
- Are we trying to make a difference in society with a good product or just chasing money? Many cheap products on the open market are unfortunately using the WHO recipe as a marketing tool, without proper care on the quality (Pharmaceutical Grade) of raw materials used. We strongly believe that this was not the intent of the WHO.
- Do we want to help save lives or are we in this for just a quick buck?
- Are we in this for the long run and developing a brand which will become synonymous with quality, or are we just trying to capitalise on the present opportunity?
- Do other local sanitizer companies take into consideration that people are using Alcohol based sanitisers in excess and the market is already being flooded with complaints of dry hands, cracking skin and colouration? The proof that non-pharmaceutical grade raw materials (cheaper) are indeed more harmful than good. The Consumer Protection Agencies are already flooded with many such complaints.
- Do we care about our clients and their health or not?
We believe when these questions are honestly answered then the answer seems evident – Yes we Care and so should everybody else manufacturing health care products, such as Alcohol based sanitisers.
Material Safety Data Sheet
Envirospec Hand Sanitizer & other Sanitizer products are manufactured to strict standards and processes. Please click on the link or image below to view or download our MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)